Tuesday, July 8, 2008

McCain Gets Testy With Vet Over GI Bill



The questioner is a vet himself.He asks McCain about his voting against expansion of healthcare benefits to veterans for the years 2004-2007, years in which we have Iraq and Afghanistan veterans adding exponentially to the VA rolls.

McCain answers him by saying, that he has been endorsed by “all the organizations” and then launches into an explanation of his resistance to the Webb GI Bill that provided educational assistance to veterans.

So much for answering him. Not only did he not answer the question he brought up the wrong bill!

The questioner tried to get McCain back on the issue at hand. The questioner reiterates that his question went to healthcare–not educational–benefits, McSame reiterate that all the veterans’ groups love him! Once again not answering his question.

McCain: I’ve received every organization in America, their awards…[questioner says something-inaudible] Now, sir, I don’t…I don’t know what you’re referring to nor do…[questioner continuing-inaudible] Sir, I’m responding to your question and then I will let you speak again, if you’d like, but you oughta…the way we try to conduct these is let people finish and then I will go back to [audience applause] to you…I’ll go right back. So I don’t know what bill you’re referring to or what you’re referring to and I’ll be glad to have you refer to it. But the reason why I have a perfect voting record from organizations like the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion and all the other veterans’ service organization is because of my support of them, but if you can go ahead and respond if you want to. Go ahead. Give him the microphone back.

Q: I’ll respond by saying this: that you do not have a perfect voting record by the DAV and the VFW. That’s where these votes are recorded. And the votes were proposals…they were proposals by your colleagues in the Senate to increase healthcare funding of the VA in 2003, 4, 5 and 6, for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and you voted against those proposals. I can give the specific Senate votes, the numbers of those Senate votes, right now.

McCain: Well, I thank you and I’ll be glad to examine what your version of my record is. But, again, I’ve been endorsed in every election by all of the veterans’ organizations that do that. I’ve been supported by them and I’ve received their highest awards from all of those organizations, so I guess they don’t know something you know. So I thank you very much and I will continue to be proud of my support for the veterans of this country and proud of their support.


He never answered his question, just using the same ole rheteric that all VA organizations love him. That of course is not true.

No comments: