Thursday, September 11, 2008

Petraeus: I Don't Know That I Will Ever Use The Word "Victory" For Iraq

In an interview with the BBC, Petraeus said he didn't know if he could promise "victory," said he didn't know if he would ever even use that word, and suggested that using it is irresponsible.

Q: Do you think you will ever use the word "victory"?

Petraeus: I don't know that I will. I think that all of us at different times have recognized the need for real restraint in our assessments, in our pronouncements, if you will. And we have tried to be very brutally honest and forthright in what we have provided to Congress, to the press, and to ourselves.


"This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade...it's not war with a simple slogan."


Yet this does not stop Senator McCain using Iraq in terms of "victory" and "honor." Senator McCain and the Republican pundits love to say anyone that disagrees with them wants defeat! They want to lose in Iraq. I guess that now includes General Patraeus?





No comments: