Thursday, May 22, 2008

McCain Missed Vote on GI Bill

John McCain missed the vote on Jim Webbs GI bill in the Senate today. What followed the vote was a statement by Senator Obama in the Senate floor followed by a response by John McCain.

Obama:

I respect senator John Mccain's service to our country. He is one of those heroes of which I speak. But I can't understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this G.I. bill. I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans. I could not disagree with him and the president more on this issue. There are many issues that lend themselves to partisan posturing, but giving our veterans the chance to go to college should not be one of them. I'm proud that so many Democrats and Republicans have come together to support this.


McCains response:

"It is typical, but no less offensive that Sen. Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of," the Arizona senator said in a statement. "I know that my friend and fellow veteran, Sen. Jim Webb, an honorable man who takes his responsibility to veterans very seriously, has offered legislation with very generous benefits. I respect and admire his position, and I would never suggest that he has anything other than the best of intentions to honor the service of deserving veterans. Both Sen. Webb and I are united in our deep appreciation for the men and women who risk their lives so that the rest of us may be secure in our freedom."

McCain added, "And I take a backseat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans. And I will not accept from Sen. Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did."


Interesting response by John McCain. So he accepts the stand made by President Bush? THE President Bush that got out of military service by going to the National Guard?

No comments: